Sunday, April 20, 2008

4 20 dud

So you know how life has its little coincidences? It does.

Now that I've laid down some truth. Wanted to share a little kismet. As you know today is/was 4:20 the day everyone is supposed to get super stoned or something. However its also Hitler's birthday. Adolf Hitler you know the guy right?

Now rewind to 2001... we were gearing up for war. War on terror you know the one. Anyway some peace minded folk decided to start a protest record label and put up free songs for download all types of underground musicians. All protest songs you see. One of those songs has always stuck with me.
Pictures of adolf by Jim O'Rourke

or so I thought I just realized today that the song is a cover as I found Okkervil River play the same song live and credit it to bill fay.
Okkervil's version

And to complete the circle.
Here is Bill Fay's version.


And just to run it into the ground Here is a video someone has made using Charlie Chaplin's portrayal of Hitler.



I'm not going to make commentary on the meaning of the song to me personally but its pretty hard not to draw the lines.

1 comment:

E said...

Would you please make commentary on the meaning of the song? Because for me, it IS pretty hard to draw the lines.

A warning of the dangers of ideology? Marxist? Or, either christianity or imperialism/oppression/genocide? But imperialists oppressed in the name of christ, so...

This song is haunting me! I need someone else's take on it, and you seem to have formed a solid opinion.